The HCL ME X1 is the re-branded version of the Coby Kyros MID7022 for the Indian market. The most frustrating bit about this tablet is the absence of the Android Market app. I have no idea why this is the case, but if you really want to put this cheap tablet to good use, here’s by far the simplest way to install the Android Market app.
You might have read various articles which require you to root, flash, use recovery images, etc to install the Market app. Before you get there, try this method out. It’s simple and requires no rooting. This method is not invented by me. I figured it out through hours of Gooling & trying out the various other methods unsuccessfully. I’ve aggregated it below to save you time.
- Download the APK installer files. ( download | alternate )
- Unzip the downloaded file and copy it to a folder on your tablet’s memory card. You can place it anywhere you like.
- Navigate to the folder you copied the files into using a file explorer on your tablet. You can do this using the built-in ES Explorer app on your device or install AndExplorer by visiting this link on your tablet – http://www.lysesoft.com/products/andexplorer/AndExplorer.apk
- Now install the apps (.apk files) one by one in their numbered order. Make sure you follow the order as mentioned below –
- Reboot your device. If you’re prompted to run the Setup Wizard, you can skip it. Now try to access the Market app.
If everything worked well, you should now be able to use the Market to install most Android apps. In case it didn’t, keep trying and read the FAQs below.