Being the most used operating system, Windows is the target of thousands of viruses, Trojans, malwares and all the bad guy stuff. Today data protection and internet security is a huge market for software companies. There are many security suites available for protecting our precious data from different security threats but unfortunately most of them are not free. Windows is not like Linux where a free software means a fully featured free software available with source code. A free software for Windows means limited features, most of the time. Same is the case with with Antivirus softwares for Windows. Fortunately there are few Antivirus softwares which can protect the users to a moderate level despite the Free tag. Below I have listed some best free Antivirus softwares in descending order:
5. PC TOOLS ANTIVIRUS FREE EDITION
If you used two popular applications i.e Registry Mechanic and Spyware Doctor your will probably know the name of PC Tools. PC Tools AntiVirus Free Edition is yet another free product from this company. It’s features are as follow:
- Protects your PC as you are working, surfing and playing Detects, quarantines, disinfects and destroys Viruses, Trojans and Worms
- IntelliGuard™ protects your computer against threats in real-time
- Automatically checks for frequent updates against the latest threats
- Best of all it’s FREE. No catches, limitations or time-limits.
4. AVIRA ANTIVIRUS
Ranked No.3 at downloads.com, Avira is yet another free antivirus. There official site describe there software as:
Avira AntiVir Personal – FREE Antivirus is a reliable free antivirus solution, that constantly and rapidly scans your computer for malicious programs such as viruses, Trojans, backdoor programs, hoaxes, worms, dialers etc. Monitors every action executed by the user or the operating system and reacts promptly when a malicious program is detected.
3. AVAST HOME EDITION
They claim that Avast is trusted by 70 million users worldwide. Avast has been listed in Download.com top 10 for more than one year. According to Download.com:
Avast Home Edition is a complete ICSA & Checkmark certified antivirus, Checkmark certified anti-spyware & anti-rootkit package. Avast includes the following components: On demand scanner with skinnable simple interface, just select what do you want to scan in which way and press the Play button; On access scanner, special providers to protect the most of available e-mail clients; Instant messaging–ICQ, Miranda; Network traffic–intrusion detection, lightweight firewall; P2P protection for Kazaa, BitTorrent; Web shield–monitors and filters all HTTP traffic; NNTP scanner–scans all Usenet Newsgroup traffic and all operations with files on PC; Boot time scanner–scans disks in the same way and in the same time as Windows CHKDSK does.
2. CALMWIN ANTIVIRUS FREE ANTIVIRUS
Probably the world’s first and only open source antivirus, Calmwin free antivirus has most ‘calm’ interface and ability to run in background without being a memory hog. They define their product as:
- High detection rates for viruses and spyware
- Scanning Scheduler
- Automatic downloads of regularly updated Virus Database.
- Standalone virus scanner and right-click menu integration to Microsoft Windows Explorer;
- Addin to Microsoft Outlook to remove virus-infected attachments automatically.
1.AVG ANTI-VIRUS FREE EDITION
For years it is No.1 in the most popular downloads on download.com and rightly so. It is one of the most used antivirus application worlwide. Some highlighted features:
- The most downloaded software on CNET’s Download.com
- Protection against viruses and spyware (antivirus and antispyware)
- Fast, effective security that is kind on resources
- Compatible with Windows XP and Windows Vista